Guru Purab of Guru Angad dev Ji.
Happy Prakash Guru Purab of Guru Angad dev Ji.
Guru Angad Ji was the second of the ten Sikh gurus of Sikhism. Born in Hindu family and after meeting Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, becoming a Sikh, and serving and working with Guru Nanak for many years, Guru Nanak gave Lehna the name Angad (“my own limb”),and chose Angad as the second Sikh Guru.
There is a popular story about how Guru Angad Ji got selected as a successor.
One day a jug fell into the mud and Guru Nanak Ji asked his sons to pick that jug up, but they refused to do it. Then Guru Nanak Ji asked Guru Angad Dev Ji to pick it up, which he did without any hesitation. By this, Guru Nanak Ji was impressed with him. Then Guru Nanak ji named Guru Angad ji as the second successor on September 7, 1539.
After the death of Guru Nanak Dev Ji in 1539, Guru Angad Ji led the Sikh tradition. Guru Angad Dev instead of his own son, he chose Amar Das ji as his successor and he came third Guru of Sikhism.
Guru Angad Dev ji got married when he was 16 years old. He got married to Khatri girl named Mata Khivi in January 1520.
Guru Angad ji before he came Sikh, he was a religious teacher and priest who performed services focussed on Durga (Devi Shaktism, the goddess tradition of Hinduism).
As second Guru of sikhs, some of the main highlights of Guru Angad dev Ji”s life are below please read it
1) Guru Angad Dev ji contributed 63 shabad which are now registered in Guru Granth Sahib.
I am sharing some of his popular shabad
- ਨਾਨਕ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਹੇਇ ॥
- nānak chintā mat karaho chintā tis hī hēi .
- O Nanak, don’t be worried; Waheguru will worry for you.
Sharing some of his more shabad
Mera Sir Jaave
(My head can go, even if i die then so be it, but may my faith in sikhi remain strong)
2)Guru Ji demonstrated the principles of Nishkam seva to humanity , he completely surrender to the Guru and to the will of god and disapproval of exhibitionism and hypocrisy.
3) He formalized the present form of Gurumukhi script.
4) Followed and maintained the institution of langar started by Guru nanak dev ji.
5) Travelled widely and established several new centres for preaching sikhi.
6) He created many sikh religious institutions and schools.
On this auspicious day that is Guru Purab (birth anniversary) of Guru Angad Dev ji, we can do various things like:
- We can do Waaheguru Simran as much as we can.
- You can chant/listen to Japji Sahib.
- We can chant/listen Dukhbhanjani.
- Chant/listen to Chaupai Sahib.
- You can also listen to Sukhmani sahib.
- Do some donation on this auspicious day of Guru Purab of Guru Angad Dev ji.